I can't believe that Christmas is less than a week away. This year has gone by so fast. I really wish this season never ended. People seem to always be nicer, the weather gets colder and the food is amazing. This holiday makes me realize how lucky I truly am. I have everything I could ever want and need. I have a loving husband and family, friends that I would do anything for, a job I love, two amazing dogs that love me unconditionally, a roof over my head, and a full stomach. This time of year also reminds me of some of my favorite holiday traditions, both new and old traditions.
- BUYING A REAL CHRISTMAS TREE. The day after Thanksgiving I begin decorating my entire house. I buy a real tree and get out all of my ornaments. I hope to never get over this tradition. It's so simple but it means so much to me. My parents always got us a real tree. Even if money was tight, somehow we managed to get a tree in. It may have been smaller than usual but we had a tree!
- LISTENING TO CHRISTMAS MUSIC WHILE GIFT WRAPPING. My absolute favorite Christmas Album is by Mariah Carey. I have her holiday songs on my Pandora playlist and it just makes me so happy when I listen to her sing my favorite carols.
- SPENDING TIME WITH MY GRANDMOTHER. When we were younger, everyone would meet at my grandmother's house and celebrate the holidays. Those are some of my best memories. Unfortunately being far away makes it difficult to make it down. Our family celebrates on Christmas eve and it is an all day affair.
- WATCHING CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH MY FAMILY. When I was younger as soon as December came around my father wanted to start watching Christmas movies. He didn't care if he had seen them before. All he wanted was to see any Christmas movie. My absolute favorite one is A Christmas Story. My mother doesn't speak English very well but whenever this movie came on she would watch it. Can't say she knew what was really going on but she always seemed to enjoy it.
- THE MAKING OF THE TAMALES. Like I said earlier, our family made Christmas Eve an all day affair mostly because of so much food that was prepared. One of the things that would take a long time to cook were the tamales. We held assembly lines to get the tamales rolling and as little kids we were expected to help out. All my aunts would get together and would reminisce on their childhood and share stories. These moments are the moments I miss the most.
What are your favorite holiday traditions?
Other places your can find me: